Mosque set on fire during Ramadan in Indian village
Attack on mosque in Haryana village during late-night Ramadan prayers sparks fear among Muslims in region with history of communal tensions
NEW DELHI, India (MNTV) — A mosque in a village in northern India’s Haryana state was set on fire late Tuesday night after unidentified individuals allegedly broke a window and poured petrol inside while worshippers were sleeping at the site during the final days of Ramadan.
The attack took place around 1:25 a.m. on March 11 in Tikri Brahmin village in Palwal district, located in Haryana, a northern Indian state south of the national capital New Delhi. The fire was brought under control before it could cause major damage or casualties.
According to a complaint filed by the mosque’s imam, Zuber, four men were staying at the mosque as part of itikaf, a practice in which Muslims spend the final ten days of Ramadan in spiritual seclusion inside a mosque devoted to prayer and reflection.
The imam said he was at the mosque along with Iqbal, Hanif and Sohail when they woke up to smoke and heat filling the building.
The men raised an alarm, prompting other residents to rush to the scene. Villagers worked together to extinguish the flames before the fire could spread further inside the mosque.
Police said a case has been registered following the complaint.
Palwal Superintendent of Police Varun Singla confirmed that investigators had opened a case against a man identified as Ramroop along with other named and unidentified suspects. Authorities said the investigation is being handled by multiple units, including the district’s Special Crime Unit and Cyber Cell.
Police spokesperson Sanjay Kumar said officers were reviewing CCTV footage from the area and collecting information from residents in an effort to identify those responsible.
Local residents told The Observer Post, an independent Indian news outlet, that the incident has created fear among Muslims in the village.
Some residents said Tikri Brahmin village has experienced communal tensions in the past. According to local accounts, earlier disputes in the area included allegations of religious conversion linked to the mosque that led to the detention of several Muslim residents.
Authorities said additional police forces had been deployed to prevent further unrest.
Officials stated that five to six police teams had been stationed in the village and were conducting continuous patrols. The administration said the situation remained under control while urging residents not to spread rumors.
Police officials said those responsible for the attack would face legal action if identified.