Jakarta opens boxing ring, skatepark to curb youth brawls
Police recorded at least 440 cases of street fights and illegal street racing across Greater Jakarta area in 2025
JAKARTA, Indonesia (MNTV) – A newly inaugurated boxing ring and skatepark represent part of a broader effort by Jakarta’s Governor Pramono Anung to address youth violence and establish positive recreational spaces for young people, reports Jakarta Globe.
“Previously, East Jakarta was known for gang groups. But after having this facility, the number of brawls has dropped drastically,” Pramono told reporters.
The governor indicated that following the success of the facility in Ciracas District, the Jakarta administration plans to construct a similar venue in Kampung Melayu.
“I hope it will benefit young people in East Jakarta so their energy can be channeled into places like this, making them more productive, preventing them from getting involved in brawls, reducing street fights, and encouraging them to take part in safeguarding Jakarta,” he said.
Youth brawls have emerged as a serious concern in the capital, frequently resulting in severe injuries and, in some cases, fatalities. The scale of the problem became evident in Metro Jaya Police Chief Asep Edi Suheri’s report that police had recorded a high number of incidents in 2025, with at least 440 cases of street fights and illegal street racing handled across the Greater Jakarta area.
The severity of violence was illustrated by an incident on February 10, when a junior high school student was fatally attacked during a clash between two groups on Mayjen Sutoyo Street in Makasar District, East Jakarta. The victim sustained severe injuries from sharp weapons and subsequently died.