Iranian sailors from vessel seized by US return home
Diplomatic efforts involving Iran, Pakistan and Singapore secured release of 20 Iranian and 11 Pakistani crew members, officials say
TEHRAN, Iran (MNTV) — Twenty Iranian sailors returned to Tehran on Thursday after being released following the seizure of their vessel by U.S. forces near Singapore, according to a diplomatic source.
The sailors arrived aboard a Mahan Air passenger flight from Islamabad after several days of diplomatic consultations involving Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and officials from Pakistan and Singapore.
The diplomatic source said the 20-member Iranian crew departed Islamabad for Tehran earlier Thursday.
The release of the Iranian sailors, along with 11 Pakistani crew members, came after intensive consultations between Araghchi and senior officials in Pakistan and Singapore, the source said.
Last Friday, Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar announced that efforts to repatriate the Iranian and Pakistani sailors had succeeded after their vessel was detained by the United States in waters near Singapore.
According to Pakistani officials cited by Iranian state media, the sailors were transferred from Thailand to Islamabad on the night of May 15 before arrangements were made for their return home.
Pakistan had previously stated that the United States agreed to release the Iranian and Pakistani sailors and that Islamabad would help facilitate their repatriation.