Kazakhstan bars phone use by pupils during lessons
Students may use smartphones at recess, but each school will set its own rules on storage and enforcement
ASTANA, Kazakhstan (MNTV) — Schoolchildren in Kazakhstan will be barred from using smartphones during lessons, except when a device is required for the curriculum, First Deputy Education Minister Shynar Akparova said Tuesday, according to the KazTAG agency.
Children “will not use cell phones during the educational process, except when required” by the lesson plan, Akparova said at a government briefing.
Asked about breaks, she said students could use phones during recess, but that each school would set the specific rules through its internal regulations.
Schools will also decide how and where phones are stored during class — whether kept in the classroom or in separate boxes — and to whom they are returned, she said, adding that uniform national requirements had been developed for institutions to apply locally.
The move follows similar restrictions adopted in a number of countries seeking to limit classroom distraction.