Iran confirms participation in 2026 World Cup in US
Tehran says FIFA has provided guarantees for national team’s participation in tournament despite tensions following US-Israeli war on Iran
TEHRAN, Iran (MNTV) — Iran’s national football team will compete in the 2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States after FIFA provided the necessary guarantees to Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baqaei has said.
“The decision on the participation of the Iranian national football team in the World Cup has been made based on the evaluation of the Ministry of Sports and Youth and the Football Federation,” Baqaei told a press conference.
Iran is scheduled to play all three of its Group G matches in the United States during the tournament, which runs from June 11 to July 19.
The team’s participation had been uncertain since the United States and Israel launched a war against Iran in late February.
Tehran had requested that Iran’s World Cup matches be moved to Mexico, but Gianni Infantino insisted that all matches must be played at their originally assigned venues.
Iran will open its World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. The team will also face Belgium and Egypt in Group G.
Baqaei said recent talks between Iranian football officials and FIFA representatives helped secure assurances regarding the team’s participation.
“Two days ago, Turkiye hosted a productive meeting between representatives of the Football Federation and senior FIFA officials, and we were assured that FIFA would make every endeavor to ensure that the hosts of the tournament comply with FIFA regulations,” he said.
FIFA is organizing the 2026 World Cup across the United States, Canada and Mexico.