Families of the victims of last month’s fire in the Bronx have filed lawsuits against the building’s owners accusing them of “reckless disregard” for U.S. safety laws.
Calls for accountability continue to grow over the January 9 blaze that killed 17 people.
Eight of the victims were children, including a 2-year-old boy, two 5-year-old girls and a 6-year-old boy.
Lawyers and survivors spoke at a news conference announcing the lawsuits on Tuesday.
They said building residents, who are mostly African immigrants and people of color, are entitled to the same protections and rights as New Yorkers in more affluent neighborhoods.
A prominent Florida-based civil rights attorney is representing several families suing the tower’s owners.
Benjamin Crump said the “unspeakable loss of life” was due to violations of safety regulations.
Most people killed in the fire were Muslims.