Muslim youths abducted and beaten after identity check in India
Families say attackers targeted Muslim youths over identity before kidnapping, beating and robbing them, prompting no action from police
NEW DELHI, India (MNTV) — Three Muslim youths in eastern India were allegedly abducted, beaten and robbed after a group of attackers questioned their religious identity, triggering fear among local residents, and renewing allegations of police inaction in cases involving violence against Muslims.
The incident took place in the state of West Bengal’s South 24 Parganas district, where the victims — Rajibul Molla, Zahir Molla and Hafizul Molla — are residents of a village under the jurisdiction of Jibantala Police Station.
Independent news outlet The Observer Post reported that families of the victims alleged the youths were targeted after attackers asked their names and identified them as Muslims.
According to family members, the three youths were sitting under a tree near a rural bridge connecting nearby communities on the evening of May 28 and looking at their mobile phones when a group of young men approached them. Relatives said the group first questioned them about their names and identities before launching a violent assault.
The families alleged that attackers beat the three youths and then forcibly took them to a secluded location, where they demanded 50,000 Indian rupees ($525) from their families in exchange for their release.
Victims and relatives also alleged that the assailants looted three mobile phones, 15,000 Indian rupees ($157) in cash and two motorcycles belonging to the youths.
Rajibul Molla, one of the injured victims, said the three were kidnapped and taken away against their will. He alleged the attackers repeatedly beat them after they refused to pay money and moved them to different locations during the assault.
Rajibul also alleged that attackers forced him to hold a gun while recording a video and made him say offensive statements on camera. He said he did not know who the attackers were.
Family members said they approached police on the night of the incident and informed officers about the alleged kidnapping and assault. Hossain Molla, father of one of the victims, said he went to Canning Police Station around 8 p.m. and reported what had happened.
However, the family alleged that police only registered a general diary entry, a preliminary police record, instead of filing a formal criminal complaint. Relatives said no arrests had been made days after the attack and that the stolen phones, cash and motorcycles had not been recovered.
Human rights activist Hossain Gazi said that those responsible should be arrested immediately and brought under the law. He also called for the recovery of the looted cash, phones and motorcycles.
Gazi said attacks carried out on the basis of religious identity threaten social harmony and violate constitutional principles of equality and justice. According to him, a human rights organization submitted a written memorandum to senior police officials in the district demanding immediate action.
Local residents and rights groups are now calling for a full investigation, the registration of a formal case, recovery of stolen property and the identification and arrest of those involved.