ISTANBUL (AA) – Seventeen suspects linked to Sunday’s terrorist attack on Istiklal Avenue in central Istanbul were arrested by a court order early Friday.
They include Syrian national Ahlam al-Bashir — the PKK fighter who confessed to planting the bomb.
The suspects’ statements had been taken earlier by the 3rd and 4th Istanbul Criminal Court of Peace.
Three of the suspects were released on bail.
Earlier, 49 suspects were questioned by 29 public prosecutors at the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office.
Following deposition proceedings, the prosecutor’s office referred 17 suspects to the court for remanding in custody, including Al-Bashir.
The suspects are accused of “destroying the unity and integrity of the state,” “deliberate killing,” “deliberately attempting to kill” and “deliberately aiding murder.”
Security forces said that Ferhat H, the owner of a workshop in Istanbul’s Esenler district, where Al-Bashir and fugitive suspect Bilal H. stayed, was also linked to the PKK.
Ferhat H. made terrorist propaganda through his social media account and hosted Al-Bashir and Bilal H. at his home on the instructions of the PKK group, said sources.