KIGALI, Rwanda (AA) – Burkina Faso’s military government has vowed to pursue the militants who kidnapped 27 women and 39 children earlier this month in the country’s Sahel region.
The commitment came days after the army freed the group of women, who were kidnapped on Jan. 12-13 in Soum province near the town of Arbinda.
“The search continues to identify those responsible for the kidnappings in order to bring them before the competent courts,” said a statement issued by the Prime Minister’s office.
Welcoming the women’s rescue, the government praised “the commitment and determination” of the Burkinabe defense and security forces.
The abductees included 27 women aged 18 to 56 and 39 children, with four infants among them, according to the government.
They were rescued last Friday in the Center-North region following an operation after eight days of captivity.
The government “remains firmly committed to sparing no effort to protect populations from human rights violations and abuses,” the statement said.